| Pride of the Valley |

Vienna History

Many cities are named after their founder. However, in 1794, Dr. Joseph Spencer gave our city its name after Vienna, New Jersey, where he had participated in a Revolutionary War battle. Vienna began as a 5,000 acre settlement — a grant to Dr. Spencer for his services during the great war.

Vienna's first mayor, Charles R. BlairVienna remained rich farmland up until the late 19th Century, when roads were improved and tracks for an electric railway between Parkersburg to the south, and Marietta to the north, were laid. The strip of ground lined with trees you see in our site’s graphic, above, is where they were.

Charles R. Blair, shown here, was Vienna’s first mayor. Incorporated in 1935, Vienna steadily grew to the city it is today: An important hub of commerce in the Mid Ohio Valley — home to retail stores, shopping malls, motels, restaurants, manufacturing facilities and much more.

 

More information available @ Wikipedia.

 

St. Michael's Church Mcdonough Wildlife Refuge Jackson Memorial Park Vienna Icecream Social Vienna Christmas Parade DSCN0122